Our response to the climate and environmental crisis
Climate and Environmental Emergency Recognition Statement
On the basis that:
- The world is facing a severe crisis of environmental degradation and climate change that affects our ability to sustain human civilisation in its present form;
- The main cause of the crisis is human activity;
- The crisis is inextricably linked to global injustices and inequality;
- The crisis indicates a failure of human beings to follow God’s mandate to care for the world and to seek justice among its peoples.
We, the trustees of Lindisfarne College of Theology, publicly recognise a Climate and Environmental Emergency, and commit ourselves to:
- Examining our lives individually and corporately in relation to this crisis, and seeking to live faithfully to God;
- Bringing forward by July 2022, an action plan towards reducing LCT’s emissions to net zero by 2030;
- Encouraging our members to make relevant lifestyle changes appropriate to their circumstances;
- Encouraging action on this emergency in our communities, workplaces and other spheres of activity;
- Using whatever influence we may have to bring about positive actions by local and national government and by corporations.
Our Environmental Policy has been prepared in response to the commitment by the Church of England to reach carbon net zero by 2030 and in response to the ongoing climate and environmental crisis. Lindisfarne is committed to practices that promote environmental and social justice and will take environmental concerns into account in all aspects of Lindisfarne’s life and community including its teaching, worship, administration and communal activities.
Environmental Response Group
Lindisfarne’s Environmental Response Group consists of staff members, tutors, students, trustees and alumni. The group aims to help the College to put into practice the commitments its trustees made in recognising climate emergency.
A Rocha UK Eco Church Award
Lindisfarne has been awarded a Bronze Eco Church Award from A Rocha UK and is working towards a Silver Award.